Thursday, June 12, 2008

Global Warning

It has been sometime that I have contributed to this and my apologies for those of you who asked me about it. I have been detained on pressing issues and only now can find the time to put pen into paper.

I would like to take this opportunity to share some observations on the matter of “ Global Warming”. I believe we find ourselves (as Indonesians) at a very important time in our history. We have been as a nation for 60 + years and we have not played a part in, and if not the, definitely one of the most difficult challenges we as humans have faced.

Of course, I hear you say, that it is blindingly obvious. But how many times have we hear lately that all the right things have been said at the strategy level, but nothing is happening at the operational level.

And so I firmly believe that we are poor in execution. Politics aside, we tend to hear more people identifying what is wrong but we tend to see less people actually suggesting good solutions for a problem.

And so , true to my own critiques, here are my suggestions :

* Change light bulbs in all houses including presidential palaces and government buildings into energy saver light bulbs
* Open window curtains in the morning so not all lamps need to be turned on
* Timer on aircondition, so it is only when the weather is unbearably hot
* Adopt efficient driving techniques
* Identify activities which are adding to CO2 emissions and find ways to do less of them

I know they are not original, so let me know your tricks that you are currently doing. We can share them to others...

    No comments: