Wednesday, August 05, 2009

On The Web


The first time I joined Shell was upon finalizing my bachelor’s thesis in June of 1995. In those days, readers of economics from University of Indonesia (like I am) have a tendency to join accounting firms and investment banks. So yes , I did compare Shell with offers from banks, but clearly I felt more ‘at home’ with Shell.

A family friend worked for Shell and he encouraged me to join the company. Prior to that though, I had known about Shell because our family had lived in the Netherlands for a few years. I remember all my Dutch friends in The Hague complimented me when they learned that I was joining Shell. In their view, Shell only recruit the best people.

It has been a long and interesting journey. In total, I have been in Shell for 12 years. Nearly half of that was spent in Lubricants, in Shell Indonesia and Shell UK Ltd, both in sales and marketing, in all the 3 class of markets: consumer, industry and transport. I was also in Shell International’s Business Development Consultancy (OMC) for Downstream for a year, before moving on to Shell Global Solutions for 3 years. I am now starting my third year in Supply.

My experience in Shell - the different business units & roles I have worked in, the different countries I have lived, the different cultures I have encountered – have molded me to become a person who have a higher appreciation of the uniqueness of the cultures and the tremendous riches they brought.


No comments: